Monday, December 19, 2011

Lean management is not a change methodology; it is a destination

Lean management is not a change methodology; it is a destination, a desired set of practices and a change in culture.
Most companies fail when implementing lean because they fail to create a culture of “pull” This is because most organizations attempt to push lean on their people.
I experienced a good example of this over the weekend. I was shopping at a major retailer over the weekend and at the check-out register they had a sign posted “5-S register check list” the last date they checked off was April 2011 The date I was in the store was December 17, 2011. I was still impressed that they had the check list posted so I asked the clerk “hey I see you are using lean manufacturing principles” the gentleman replied by saying “Oh I don’t know what that is”.
This is a great example of an organization pushing lean principles. I am not questioning the company’s intentions but I would question their methods for creating change.

1 comment:

  1. Nice observation and thinking as well but you can make this more beautiful if you ever try to increase you knowledge, if I give some suggestion you must visit for Kaizen Training.

    ReplyDelete